Cybersecurity Threats for Nonprofit Organizations (And How to Prevent Them)
Today, all types of businesses -- including non-profits -- have at least one major feature in common: they rely on the internet to engage with the public. And with online functionality comes increased threats of cyberattacks, from data breaches to large-scale intrusions. In 2021 alone, there has been a shocking increase in the number of cyberattacks that victimize companies and disrupt industries.
“While we often hear about major Fortune 500 companies falling victim to cyberattacks, attacks on non-profits are just as likely. Despite the risk, these mission-driven organizations often overlook their cybersecurity exposure and believe they are priced out of effective support. STRATA9 is committed to bridging this gap and bringing state-of-the-art, affordable solutions to non-profits so they can feel secure while focusing on their core mission.” - Rosye Cloud, President, STRATA9
Nonprofits Are Top Targets
501(c)(3) organizations are often a top target in the eyes of hackers for two major reasons:
- Nonprofits rely on donations and, as such, collect private information on current and potential donors, including names, addresses, and contact information. This information is a goldmine for cyberattackers because it is often not adequately secured.
- Many nonprofit organizations have little if any cybersecurity protocols and training in place to protect from such attacks.
Types of Threats
- Data breaches: Data breaches involve hackers gaining access to your collected information.
- Forced downtime: Forced downtime happens when a hacker shuts down your systems.
- Ransomware: Ransomware takes your online systems hostage until the ransom is paid.
Now more than ever, it is crucial to ensure your organization’s IT systems and other critical online elements are protected. At STRATA9, we utilize state-of-the-art tools and techniques to help assess the current state of your organization’s cybersecurity and readiness and develop systems and protocols to protect it.
“We needed confidential support to assist us in dealing with a high-stakes system. Someone to learn our system quickly and provide services at a competitive price. STRATA9 got the job done right! ” - Not for Profit Client, 2021
Our in-house team of experts provides a variety of bespoke solutions, including:
- Network and website penetration testing
- Wireless assessments
- Social & physical assessments
- Vulnerability assessments
- RedTeam exercises, or hacking/cybersecurity evaluations
- Host-Based Security System (HBSS) deployment & module development
- Compliance assessment
- Government initiatives, training, research, and development
Our team of experts is 8570 compliant (Tech II and III) and holds industry standard certifications such as the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Security+ and DISA HBSS certifications, complementing our extensive hands-on experience of implementing Firewalls, Intrusion Prevention/Detection Systems, Email Security, Computer Network Defense (CND), and PKI among other related competencies.
“The DevOps team is top-notch, competent, and inspires confidence. They navigated a very complex environment and took time to work with staff to build internal expertise.” - Client, April 2021
At STRATA9, above all, we prioritize client confidentiality. Your mission is important, and we are dedicated to your success. To learn more about our services please visit our website or contact us here.